We can describe the IoT as It may be a sensor or it may be a embedded system or a Medical device or a simple Electronic device which is connect through the internet to collect the data which need to react immediately for controlling action or for later analysis purpose, it is Internet of Things and if those are Industrial devises which used to measure Pressure, Heat or some thing else is called IIoT that is Industrial Internet of things. Internet of Things (IoT) is a network of devices which can sense, accumulate and transfer data over the internet without any human intervention is Internet of Things (IoT).
What is IoT (Internet of Things)?
The Definition of the Internet of Things, or “IoT” for short, is about extending the power of the internet beyond computers and smartphones to a whole range of other things, Data collection, processes and environments. Those “connected” to internet are used to gather information, send information back, or both for controlling or get informed on Dashboards.
Why does IoT matter?
IoT provides businesses and people better insight into and control over the 99 percent of objects and environments that remain beyond the reach of the internet. And by doing so, IoT allows businesses and people to be more connected to the concerned around them and to do more meaningful, higher-level work based on the information gather form through Internet connected devices.
What is Industrial internet of things (IIoT)
To use the Sensor or controlling devices for Industrial or manufacturing process or in any production environment through internet is the Industrial Internet of Things, or IIoT, is the use of internet of things technologies to enhance and industrial processes. Also known as the industrial internet or Industries 4.0.
Machine learning, Artificial intelligence and big data technologies to manage and analyse the sensor data, the communication between machine-to-machine (M2M) and automation technologies that have existed in Industrial Internet of Things.
The Philosophy behind IIoT is capturing and communication real time with machines is for manage and analyse the Machines better then Humans at accurately and consistently with real time data. The data captured from machines are used to pick up the inefficiencies and problems sooner with alerts. The other benefits are saving rime and money, can be manage the business intelligence reports for make process more accurately and effectively.
What is the purpose flow consists in IoT or IIoT infrastructure or Start to End points in IoT and IIoT.
1. Software and Devices, we can say as intelligent assets — i.e., applications, controllers, sensors and security components — that can sense, communicate and store information about themselves;
2. data Storage and communications infrastructure, e.g., Data Centre, the cloud or In-house
3. Output information for analytics that generate business information from raw data and auto reaction applications for intelligent device management example alerts and controlling the device remotely.
4. Users (people).
IoT and IIoT Examples and Applications
IoT devices can be categorized into three main groups: Devices are meant to work in concert for people at home, in industry or in the enterprise. As such, the devices
In a smart home, for example, a user while going office the garage door opens automatically when he starts the car or once he reach near the garage he can operate the garage door with his mobile, or a face detector opens the door automatically or a user arrives home and his car communicate with the garage to open the door. Once entered in to home, the thermostat is already adjusted to his preferred temperature, the lights in leaving room opens automatically, or his children and wife come from school and office, message will populate, there parents, alert message will populate, that the time to arrive his children is not at arrived to home, so he can communicate with his children or school management that they are struck in traffic or is there any emergency help need them to reach home. and the lighting is set to a lower intensity and his chosen colour for relaxation, as his pacemaker data indicates it has been a stressful day.
Examples of Consumer connected Devices
- Smart TVs Example – no is watching TV Switch off automatically, if some one is come in front of the tv it will switch on automatically by identifying the humans. The wave of the hand can change the channel, double claps can shift the TV connection to DVD player, moving hand up and down can control the volume.
- Smart Speakers – identify the smart phone in range and connect the blue tooth, temporally can store the play list and loop the play etc.,
- Smart Toys most of the Toys are coming with remote controllers and can be connect with apps
- Smart wearables – Health Check like hart beat, walking and running distance reading, sleeping time recording with analysis reports, alerts based on the regular habits etc.,
- Smart appliances – If you put the floor and ingredients in methane it will prepare the dishes automatically by schedule time,
- Smart meters – Examples as of Smart meters are Electricity meters, Sensors sending readings and Water meters, Water level meters can send readings to cloud.
- Commercial security systems – CCTV and Speed capturing Cameras etc
- Smart thermostats –Heat Conditioners can maintain the temperature memantine devices can control the required temperature
- Smart Air conditioning – Home and industrial conditioners
- Smart city technologies – such as
- monitor traffic
- weather conditions
Examples of Industrial IoT devices
- Thermocouples: These are voltage devices that indicate temperature measuring with a change in voltage. As temperature goes up, the output voltage of the thermocouple rises.
- Resistor temperature detectors (RTD): The resistance of the device is directly proportional to the temperature, increase in a positive direction when the temperature rises resistance going up.
- Thermistors: It is a temperature sensitive resistor that changes its physical resistance with the change in temperature.
- IC (Semiconductor): They are linear devices where the conductivity of the semiconductor increases linearly and it takes advantage of the variable resistance properties of semiconductor materials. It can provide a direct temperature reading in digital form, especially at low temperatures.
- Infrared sensors: It detects temperature by intercepting a portion of emitted infrared energy of the object or substance, and sensing its intensity, can be used to measure temperature of solids and liquids only, Not possible to use it on gases because of their transparent nature.
In the Enterprise use of IoT and IIoT
- smart sensors located in a conference room
- Can help an employee locate and schedule
- An available room for a meeting,
- Ensuring the proper room type, size and features are available.
- When meeting attendees enter the room, the temperature will adjust according to the occupancy,
- The lights will dim as the appropriate PowerPoint loads on the screen and the speaker begins his presentation
- Proximity sensors are largely used in the retail industry, as they can detect motion and the correlation between the customer and product they might be interested in. A user is immediately notified of discounts and special offers of nearby products.
- In industrial Plants
- Sensors will provide required data to plant operators based on profile, and Dash boards assist them in decision making
- Such information can prevent unexpected downtime information to admin of anomalies and predicting when parts will need to be replaced.
- Lost productivity and profits, any defective production information etc.,
- In the field, such notifications can alert users to what is wrong,
- As well as the parts needed to fix a problem, to assign the service call to correct service engineer. preventing the need to send a field service worker out to diagnose an issue, it will save time driving to a plant or warehouse to finding the correct part and returning to the site.
- In agriculture, the temperature of soil is crucial for crop growth. This helps with the production of plants, maximizing the output.
- RFID can help In Machinery, in work place and inventory management, moving and shifting of the Vehicles and machinery and something similar to user for inventory
- Employee attendance management and assignment operations etc.,
- Any other Smart devices which maintain specific requirements based on the User inputs etc.,